Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A Really Really late Heritage Heroes


I am anxious to keep up with this tradition even if I am struggling to post them on Sundays.

Here is this weeks Heritage Hero

Esther Harrison Davis was my great great grandma on my father’s side (and on his father’s side). She was a beautiful woman with a fascinating story. I am typing her story as I found it in a book that was written by my dad’s sisters for a family reunion. I happened to have the book because my brother (Wells) graciously handed over to me last year a stack of books that belonged to my dad. It was quite a treasure to receive! Here is Esther’s story:

This baby girl was born with three other babies. They are called triplets. Esther was the only baby to live. She was born in a foreign country named England. Her parent’s names were William Harrison and Sarah Esther Porter Harrison. She had a younger sister and brother.

Esther’s parents were baptized members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in England. Her mother, Sarah was living with her parents with her children when Esther’s father disguised himself and knocked on the door of the home. When his wife came to the door, he blew out the candle and stole their children;William Chase, age 3; Sarah, age 5; and Esther, age 7. Their father brought them to America on the ship called “Caravan”. These children never saw their mother again. Esther’s life became very hard and sad.

Esther was baptized in the Missouri River on November 28, 1861. It was very cold and they had to break the ice. She walked all the way across the plains with her feet tied in rags.

This family finally arrived in Salt Lake City, Utah on September 26, 1862. She now had a new mother.

Esther married a special young man named William George Davis. They lived in Utah. The Lord blessed them with eleven children. Six of these babies died. This pretty mother died when she was 37 years old. Her new baby died with her.

Another woman that I am anxious to meet and know!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Keaton said...

Hi great rreading your post

July 5, 2022 at 4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home