Monday, February 23, 2009

Will we survive?



I put my kids on a TV strike for the week. It will be an interesting week for sure! It stemmed from the struggles I have EVERY Sunday in Sacrament meeting. With James in the Bishopric, I am a single mom on the bench. The older kids do okay (sometimes) but Jonathan and Elizabeth are my biggest offenders. They kick, hit, scream, wiggle away, crawl under the bench...I feel sorry for anyone who sits by us.

After we got home from church, I made them all sit on the couch and listen to me vent my frustrations about sitting through the most important part of church with frustration and anger with my kids. These are the feelings I want to get rid of while at church, not create stronger!

So, as I was doing my best to figure out the best way to make this sink in (especially to Jonathan and Elizabeth), it hit me...make your home the way you want them to be at church...so then I blurted out without too much further thought...No TV all next week...nothing, no movies, no church movies, no computer, nothing! THey can read books or listen to music.

I then wondered if I could do it?! A preschooler all day...JOnathan who loves his animal shows on animal planet....my older kids who love to watch after school, before school...WOW what did I just say?!

BUT, I am committed! If the thought hit me that fast, it must be the right answer (even if it's hard!). I told them that the test for getting the TV back would be church this next week. If they can sit reverently for church they can have the TV back next week. THis may sound easy, but in the 6 months that James has been in there, there hasn't been a week that they have been reverent (except when Jonathan is home sick), so this really will be a challenge! Wish me luck!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Christi in AZ said...

YOU CAN DO IT!! and I TOTALLY understand why you did it. Our household may be coming to that soon. For now, we are on a video Game stirke until SUMMER! Believe me, that is KILLING my kids. Buy you gotta do what you gotta do, and stick by what you say!! Let us know how it goes.

February 23, 2009 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger It's a great life! said...

You can totally do it. Good for you.

February 23, 2009 at 12:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ill bet james is frustrated. whats he going to do for romance

February 24, 2009 at 7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home